Everyones favorite part of the pork? Maybe so…If you love the belly then try this recipe with your favorite additions.
2 pound pork belly skin on or skinless
2 tsp Worcestershire (can omit)
1 tbs seasoning or rub of choice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper, ground
Rub bellies with the Worcestershire, put bellies into heavy gauged pan skin and score side up and season.
1. A few important tips before cooking the pork belly. First, begin the process at least 48-72 hours before you actually want to eat this delicious part of the pig. Find a belly that is even in thickness and cut into desired shape or slab. Pick out your favorite heavy bottom roasting pan. Gather all ingredients for success. Lastly, after cooking the belly, I recommend chilling. Slicing the belly while chilled before searing and serving will assist in keeping it intact better and present nicely. Of course there is always time to take a few nibbles when it’s first fresh out of the oven.
2. Cut the belly into desired slab. I like to cut into 3 inch wide slabs. Whether or not it is skin-on or skinless, score gently with shallow cuts with a sharp knife or razor blade. Score diagonally on the skin or fat side leaving about ¼-½ inch gaps. Repeat this step in the opposite direction.
3. Season the scored side of the pork with dry rub or paste. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24-48 hours.
4. In a heavy bottom oven-safe roasting pan, place the seasoned pork belly scored side up in the middle rack of a preheated 325 degree oven for 2 hours. After 2 hours, rotate the pan in the oven, add 1/2 cup of liquid/water, turn the oven to 420 degrees to cook for 1 more hour. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until completely chilled through. Slice into desired thickness and crisp up in a hot skillet or deep fry.
5. Now that your tasty pork belly is chilled, slice into desired size and crisp up in a hot heavy bottomed skillet. Season or glaze with your favorite flavors.
6. This recipe is very versatile and ingredients can be omitted or substituted