Osso Buco is a cross cut pork shank used for braising or soups and broths. In this recipe we use a traditional braising technique resulting in an amazing savory fall off the bone piece of meat. Osso Buco refers to “hollowed bone” which refers to the marrow filled shin bone that the dish is made from.
1 pack of Beeler’s Pure Pork Osso Buco
2 large carrot – chopped
2 ribs of celery – chopped
1 white onion – cut in quarters
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
3 sprigs of rosemary
12 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp rendered Beeler’s Pure Pork Bacon
3 cups of dry red wine
6 cups of pork, beef or chicken broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Remove the Osso Buco from the packaging, and pat dry with a clean paper towel.
- Liberally salt and pepper the Osso Buco on all sides.
- Heat up your dutch oven on high and put in 3 tbsp of rendered bacon fat
- Place the Osso Buco into the hot dutch oven and sear on all sides or until golden brown
- When both sides are browned and have a crisp sear, remove Osso Buco from the dutch oven.
- Reduce the heat to medium and deglaze the pan by pouring in 2 cups of red wine and stir so all of the fond in the pan loosen up.
- Let the mixture simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add in the pork, beef or chicken bone broth and stir.
- Add in the tomato paste and sti
- Place the seared Osso Buco, carrots, celery, onion, rosemary, and bay leaves into the dutch oven.
- Place the lid on the dutch oven, reduce the heat to medium-low, and let simmer for up to 4 hours or the meat easily pulls from the bone.
- Strain and reserve liquid. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Add a couple of drops of some nice sherry vinegar, chopped fresh thyme and some zest of an orange is also a nice touch.
- Enjoy this wonderful cut from Beeler’s Pure Pork! Serve with your favorite dish such as risotto.